Inner Peace is essential to living a fulfilled life. It is the source of true happiness and contentment whereby you reach an inner calm free from the influence of outside stress and worries. Most people are not able to achieve inner peace because they let drama and their problems control their lives. They don’t realize that problems are a product of our minds fed by negative thoughts and feelings. Most times, problems only become problems when we allow our minds to bring them to life. I am sure that you have met people where things don’t really bother them and they take everything in stride. These type of people have learned to control their emotions and don’t let external forces influence their state of mind.
What causes a lack of inner peace?
There are many things that can cause you to not have a “peace of mind.”
- Outside world. People spend their lives trying to get the things that other people have. You turn on the television and every channel is showing reality shows of people with glamorous lives who drive fancy cars and live in big houses. We think that we are supposed to have those things also and we become depressed if we aren’t able to get them. This robs us of our inner peace.
- Anxiety. To achieve inner peace, we must be able to control our anxiety. Just the thought of doing something gets us feeling out of control and uptight. Often times the thought of doing it is worst than actually doing the task.
- Fulfillment. Have you ever pondered what you were put on this earth to do? What is your life’s purpose? It gives us feelings of being unfulfilled where we think that there should be more to our life or that something is missing. This empty feeling will take away our inner peace.
- Stress and deadlines. Anyone that has ever been in the construction business has experienced this one. The deadline to complete the project is looming and you don’t have the material to finish or the equipment is scheduled to ship the week that the building turns over. Our jobs create the most stress in our lives and has the biggest impact on our peace of mind.
Nothing can disturb your peace of mind unless you allow it to. – Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
Ways to Achieve your Inner Peace.
It is not all doom and gloom because I am here to help you. There are several ways to get back your peace of mind.
- Mindful Meditation is the latest craze. You find a peaceful setting free from outside distractions and sit quietly. Try to empty your mind of every thought. Free yourself from all the stress that has accumulated and push your worries aside. Find your “happy” place and focus on your spiritual well being.
- Live a simpler life. Declutter your house and rid yourself of stuff you don’t use. More stuff equals more maintenance. Rid yourself of the motorcycle that doesn’t run, the horse that eats too much food and nobody rides, and the things that seemed like a great buy but you haven’t touched since you bought them.
- Enjoy yourself. Try to only do things that you enjoy. If your job sucks, find another one. Fill your time with what makes you happy.
- Forgive. I have tried to do this but some people can’t be forgiven. Once I came to this conclusion, I was able to let the burden of dealing with that person go away. Bad relationships create bad feelings which robs you of your inner peace.
- Smile. People might think that you are up to something but a smile is contagious. I make it a habit of telling everyone I cross good morning with a smile on my face. It generates a positive response that starts the day right for me and the people that I come into contact with.
- Have an attitude of gratitude. Be thankful for what you do have and don’t worry about what you don’t. Definitely don’t compare yourself to others.
- Live in the moment. Be thankful for today. Don’t dwell on the past and don’t sweat the future. Good things will come your way.
Nothing external to you has any power over you. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We can’t achieve peace and happiness without finding our inner peace. Be intentional and don’t let external forces rob you of your peace of mind. Control your emotions and don’t let problems become problems. Declutter, count your blessings, and enjoy life to the fullest! Go sit in the woods or find a perch atop a mountain. Meditate and find your inner happiness.
We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. – Dalai Lama XIV